10 Characteristics of a Man Worth Dating
By Lisa Logan
“He goes to church on Sundays”
“He has his favourite Bible verses memorized”
“He says he's a Christian”
I've heard all of these lines and I have said all of these lines. But is he a godly man mature in Christ or is he a Christian boy? Is he a Boaz or a bozo?
Some questions I had to start asking myself after many dating disasters were: Does he quote Bible verses or does he live them out? Does he go to church or does going to church reflect his personal relationship with Christ?
Does he respect your purity or protect your purity? Does he lead you closer to himself or closer to God? Do you see Jesus in the way he treats others? Does he say will pray for you or does he pray with you?
Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the first part of the above questions, the important thing to remember is: Jesus came to fulfill the law when he became Man. It is important that the man you enter into relationship with not only talks the talk, but walks the walk. I bring to you 10 qualities of a man that I believe are non-negotiables and qualities every woman should seek after. I must add that, you can be as picky as you want but not so picky that no man will ever reach your expectations. I pray that these qualities will help you on your dating journey and encourage you to never settle. God wants to give you a man clothed in the armour of God – he wants to give you the best!
1. He loves God – He is a practicing believer and God is the centre of his life. You will see this in his actions, his decisions and how he treats others. He prays regularly and seeks God on his own with or without you. “Do not be yoked together with an unbeliever …For what agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?” 2 Corinthians 6:14-16.
2. He protects your purity – He guards you against harm and protects your purity. "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity" 1 Timothy 4:12.
3. He is honest. A godly man will be real with his strengths, his weaknesses, and his struggles. He will be real with his hopes, dreams and fears. A man who is honest becomes a safe place in which a woman can hide her heart. "Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth" 1 John 3:18.
4. He has godly friends. Take a look at the people the man you are interested in is spending time with. The people we surround ourselves with often mold us into who we are. "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm" Proverbs 13:20.
5. He seeks wise counsel. Seeking wise counsel is a sign of maturity and humility. “A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels" Proverbs 1:5.
6. He is humble. A man of God doesn't boast himself through talk because his life displays it for him. A man that is humble is more concerned about his walk than his talk. He is slow to speak and quick to listen. He has laid himself down for the good of others. “Pride comes before destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a fall” Proverbs 16:18.
7. He is goal- oriented. A godly man will be intentional and goal-oriented in your relationship. A mature man of God will not drag the relationship knowing either of you may be called to someone else or another vocation. He will seek to determine God's will for your relationship actively to honour your emotional well-being. "But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" Philippians 3:13-14.
8. He is slow to anger. There is safety and peace in knowing your man holds a good temperament when inevitable conflicts arise, especially for your future family and marriage. “A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel” Proverbs 15:18.
9. He respects his parents. It has been said many times that you can see the character of a man by the way he treats his mother. A man of God will respect and be kind to his parents. This is the type of man who will treat you courteously. "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching" Proverbs 1:8.
10. You are attracted to him. This could mean his personality, his character, and/or his appearance. There should be some spark and chemistry ladies if you are to enter into a romance!
There are many more great qualities to look for in a godly man but this is good place to start. Pray and seek God's will- he will not cut you short!